Regina’s Rock Station 104.9 The Wolf, The Exchange, and Long and McQuade Musical Instruments present Queen City Rocks 2018!
The application window is NOW OPEN for band submissions. Unlike a great many ‘battle of the band’ competitions, Queen City Rocks is set up as to bring exposure to its participants while also bringing the Regina music scene together. Oh yeah, and there’s also no entry fee. In fact, you can EARN cash with your participation.
There will be a total of up to (5) run-off performance weeks. The band scoring the highest total of points during their run-off will instantly win a $500 gift card from Long and McQuade Musical Instruments, and advance to the Grand Finale – Thursday, March 29th, 2018. Five bands perform each night in randomly selected order. Each band receives 20 minutes on the clock and can play a maximum of 1 cover song.
Bands will be awarded points by our adjudication panel based on many categories such as: stagecraft, songcraft, vocal performance, etc. Professionalism does play a factor in the points process as well including social media presence, press kit, logo, and availability of merch all make an impact towards the final score.
Thanks to some fantastic partners who believe in supporting emerging music as much as we do, we have been able to pull together a fantastic prize bundle!
Run-off Prizing (5 run-off packages in total)
$500 gift card – Long and McQuade Musical Instruments (“Where the Music begins”)
Grand Finale Prizing (1 finale package in total)
$1000 gift card – Long and McQuade Musical Instruments (“Where the Music begins”)
$1000 Cash – Jim Beam
$1000 Cash – 104.9 The WOLF
SaskMusic Annual Band Membership and customized mentorship bundle
Photo session with winning band including pre-production meeting through to delivery of finished digital files – Kamiki Piks Photography
Venue Rental – The Cultural Exchange; one full night rental including promo, sound tech, door, security and bar staff
And of course, AIRPLAY!!
– Featured listing/link from Queen City Rocks page at www.thewolfrocks.com
– Song featured as ‘Homegrown Song of the Week’ on Regina’s Rock 20 countdown on The WOLF
There’s quite literally thousands of dollars in prizes!
– Members must be residents of Saskatchewan.
– Aside from the 1 cover song limit, your band must have written and have the legal right to publically perform the music you play. (aka – write and play your own tunes!!)
– No “signed” acts or bands with members that hold current contracts/representation.
– The Exchange is an all ages venue for both patrons and performers. So is Queen City Rocks
How to Enter:
The Submission window is NOW OPEN. We need demos in our inbox by 5pm Friday, February 2nd, 2018. Late submissions will not be considered.
Entries must include all the following information. If there is a field that is not applicable or available, type ‘not applicable’ or ‘not available’. Do not leave it blank. You must be available for the Grand Finale which will take place on Thursday, March 29th, 2018.
Here’s what we need from you:
Email Subject Line:
Subject: QCR 2018 Submission – (band name
Please place the answers to the following 13 questions in your first email along with the following files:
- a) .jpg or .png of your band logo (if available – 1 MB filesize or less)
- b) .jpg or .png of your band (press photo – 1 MB filesize or less)
- c) .doc or .pdf of band bio (band roster/influences/what you’re all about)
- d) .jpg or .pdf of your stage plot (who stands where, how many guitars, etc)
1) Band name:
2) Primary Contact:
3) Primary Contact’s e-mail address: (all that apply)
4) Primary contact’s cell phone number:
5) Secondary Contact:
6) Secondary Contact’s e-mail address:
7) Secondary contact’s cell phone number:
8) Preferred Run-Off Date:
(We need you to rank ALL FIVE show dates in order of preference. We’ll do our best to accommodate, but can and will slot you where we have available performance space. If there is a date that will NOT work for whatever reason, still rank it and indicate as such).
The 5 run-off dates are mainly on Thursdays, with 1 show on a Friday- February 15th, February 22nd, March 2nd, March 8th & March 15th.
(Load-In 5pm. Doors 7pm. First band 8pm.)
9) Band website: (any and all that apply)
10) Band Facebook page:
11) Band Twitter account:
12) Other Social Media Platforms ex) Instagram, snapchat, youtube, etc:
13) Grand Finale acknowledgement: We acknowledge that if our band is successful in our run-off performance, that we will be available and able to play at the Grand Finale on Thursday, March 29th Yes/No. (ßdelete the word that you don’t agree with and bold the one that’s left).
To include in your application: E-mails #2 and #3
So you got us all the pertinent information in your e-mail. Now we need to hear your music.
We will need a minimum of 2 songs forwarded our way. Fully mixed and ready, demo recordings, mp3 recorder in the basement…we’re not overly picky, we just need to hear your stuff.
Each song should be sent in its own separate e-mail as follows. Note the Subject line formatting!!!
Subject: QCR 2018 Song #1 – (band name) – (song name)
Subject: QCR 2018 Song #2 – (band name) – (song name)
Files should be in an MP3 format, with a file size no larger than 5MB. Please send as Song #1 the song that best illustrates what your band is all about, and you would like us to use in any advance promotional announcements we may air leading up to the performances (on-air or on-line). Song #2 should be another track that shows us what your band is all about.
That’s it! You’re entered.
If we receive all 3 e-mails from you, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from us indicating as such. You will then be in the running for one of our performance slots in the available Run-offs. Depending upon the number of submitting bands, there may be an initial adjudication phase to determine which bands will reach the performance round.
If your band is selected to advance to a Run-off, here are the things to remember:
– Have fun!
– You’ll have a 20-minute set (from the first note till you’re all wrapped up).
– Maximum of 1 cover song.
– You will be performing with a shared/common backline.
Drums. – Shared drumkit. Drummers may bring their own throne, snare, cymbals.
Bass. – Shared amp/cabinet.
Guitar. – Shared head/cabinet. Guitarist may provide their own head or combo amp.
Last but certainly not least: A portion of ticket sales will benefit the Regina Chapter of MusicHEALS. Dedicated to helping and healing through the power of music.